Add a touch of French elegance to your spring time picnic with this delicious recipe for a Spring galette that we have borrowed and adapted from Tesco’s Real Food Magazine. This delightful Spring galette recipe combines organic back bacon, with a range of vegetables, creamy ricotta cheese and spicy chillies.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion (halved and sliced)
- 6 organic unsmoked back bacon rashers from Helen Browning’s
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 red chilli (seeded and finely sliced)
- 150g fresh or frozen peas
- 250g asparagus (trimmed and spears cut in half)
- 250g ricotta (drained)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 3 tbsp chopped herbs (such as flat leaf parsley, mint, basil or chives)
- 320g ready-rolled puff pastry
- Put the olive oil and red onion in a frying pan set over a medium-low heat. Cook for 10-15 mins, stirring often, until the onion is soft and starting to colour. Turn the heat up slightly and add the bacon. Continue to cook until the bacon turns golden at the edges. Add the balsamic vinegar, chilli, peas and asparagus and stir-fry for 2-3 mins then remove from the heat. Season to taste. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Mix the ricotta, egg yolks, garlic and 2 tbsp chopped herbs. Season.
- Unroll the puff pastry on a cool surface, roll it out so it is a little thinner and a bit more square, trimming the four corners away to make a rounded shape. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Spread the ricotta mixture out in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 3-4cm border. Spoon the bacon mixture over the ricotta layer then fold the pastry border up and around the filling, roughly pressing and crimping the edges together to keep them in place.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins, until the pastry is golden and puffed. Scatter with the remaining chopped herbs then slice and serve with salad, if you like.