This cheesy bacon spring greens recipe is a delicious way to eat up your Spring vegetables and make the most out of seasonal produce. We have borrowed this recipe from Anna at ‘once upon a food blog’ as it is an extremely tasty! This recipe contains our organic back bacon; this bacon is traditionally dry cured by hand for a wonderful flavour and is produced from our free-range organic pork.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 184 g of organic unsmoked back bacon from Helen Browning’s (diced)
- 1 head spring greens (about 300g)
- 50 ml single cream
- 150 g sliced or grated cheese (any good melting cheese works well)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the onion and garlic very gently, preferably in a non-stick pan, until translucent and collapsing.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and fry the bacon, using a little more oil if necessary, until golden brown.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Thinly slice the spring greens and steam on the hob or microwave for 3-5 minutes until wilted.
- Stir the onions and garlic, bacon, cream and a good grating of pepper into the spring greens. Add salt as you feel necessary remembering that some cheeses, especially blue cheeses, are very salty.
- Tip the mixture into and oven dish and top with the grated or sliced cheese.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is golden and melted.
- Serve with crusty bread.