This butternut squash and bacon risotto recipe has been borrowed from the charity Heart UK, as it a recipe that has been found to be great for managing cholesterol levels, making it super healthy for the new year! This recipe contains lots of butternut squash (an excellent source of vitamins A and C) as well as lots of delicious organic back bacon. Our bacon is made from 100% outdoor bred, free-range organic pork, where our pigs have plenty of room to express their natural behaviors! To find out more about the pigs at Eastbrook Farm, take a look here.
- 4 rashers of organic back bacon from Helen Browning’s
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash (peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 300g risotto rice (Arborio)
- 1-litre stock made from 2 low-salt vegetable or chicken stock cubes
- pepper to season
- Cook the bacon and butternut squash in a large non-stick frying pan with the oil for 10 minutes
- Add the onion and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. The squash and onion should both have softened
- Stir in the rice, then add the hot stock, stir again and bring to a simmer
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure the rice does not stick
- When almost all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender the dish is ready. Season and serve
The perfect butternut squash and bacon risotto. Enjoy!