A delicious variation of a classic Reuben sandwich… this famous New York sandwich is the penultimate tasty treat.
Makes 2 hearty sandwiches.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons plus extra halved cornichons to serve
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 slices sourdough or rye bread
- 70g sliced gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese
- 150g organic corned beef (or ham)
- 100g sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- French fries (to serve)
- Mix mayonnaise, sauce, cornichons and juice, then spread on each bread slice. Top 2 slices with half the cheese, then corned beef, sauerkraut and remaining cheese. Top with bread sauce-side down.
- Heat butter and oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side until bread is golden and cheese melts. Alternatively, toast in a lightly oiled sandwich press according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve with fries and a cold beer.