A delicious variation of a classic Reuben sandwich… this famous New York sandwich is the penultimate tasty treat.
We have borrowed and adapted this amazing recipe from Delicious magazine, as it works excellently with our organic dry cured ham and corned beef. Both products are made from 100% organic, free-ranged British meat that is extraordinarily tasty too!
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons plus extra halved cornichons to serve
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 slices sourdough or rye bread
- 150g sliced gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese
- 250g organic dry cured ham or corned beef from Helen Browning’s
- 250g sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- French fries (to serve)
- Mix mayonnaise, sauce, cornichons and juice, then spread on each bread slice. Top 4 slices with half the cheese, then ham (or corned beef), sauerkraut and remaining cheese. Top with bread sauce-side down.
- Heat butter and oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side until bread is golden and cheese melts. Alternatively, toast in a lightly oiled sandwich press according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve with fries and a cold beer.
An incredibly tasty Reuben sandwich- enjoy!