This is one of those quick, comforting, homemade suppers that should be taken to the sofa with a glass of red wine.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 pack of organic beef (or pork) meatballs
- cooked spaghetti, to serve
- Parmesan, to serve
- Make the tomato sauce: Heat 1tbsp of oil in a stainless steel saucepan, Add the sliced onion and the crushed garlic, toss until coated, cover, and sweat on a gentle heat until soft and pale golden.
- Add tomatoes with all their juice to the onion mixture.
- Season the contents with the sugar, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cook the tomatoes uncovered for approximately 15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan with the remaining oil and cook the meatballs until browned on all sides.
- Add the meatballs to the tomato mix and simmer for 15 mins, gently stirring until they are cooked through. It’s ready to eat now or cool and freeze in suitable batches for up to 6 months. Serve with spaghetti, some basil and extra Parmesan, if you like.