As part of National BBQ Week, this recipe was taken from BBQ Good Food. We think this salad would go perfectly with Helen Browning’s BBQ Boxes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , finely grated
- ½ tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 350g orzo
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon , juiced
- 1 small bunch of basil , finely chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers , drained and rinsed
- 50g flaked almonds , lightly toasted
Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, and fry the onion for 10-15 mins, or until golden and caramelised. Add the garlic and sugar and cook for a further 3 mins. Season to taste. Cook the orzo following pack instructions. Drain, then toss with a little of the extra virgin olive oil and leave to cool completely. Whisk the remaining oil with the lemon juice and set aside. Toss the orzo with the sticky onion and garlic, the lemony dressing, herbs and capers, along with half the toasted almonds. Season. Spoon onto a sharing plate and top with the rest of the almonds.