A rich, flavoursome chickpea stew with stacks of flavour. This hearty dish is a nourishing, delicious one-bowl meal that cooks in about 30 minutes using kitchen staples and whatever leafy greens you might have in the fridge. Add a handful of cooked pasta or couscous for bigger appetites.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 185g organic cooking chorizo, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of salt to taste
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 400ml chicken stock
- 60g leafy greens such as kale, chard, spinach, torn or chopped into bite-size pieces
- 120g Cheddar cheese
Pour the oil into a heavy-based pan and place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened, stirring frequently.
Add chorizo to the onions with the paprika, chilli, black pepper, bay leaf. Cook for 5 mins with occasionally stirring.
Add the chickpeas, red bell pepper, stock and an extra 250ml water to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Adjust the heat to medium-low if it starts to boil.
Scoop out half the soup, puree in a blender and add back to the pot, or use an immersion stick blender to blend to a thick but chunky texture right in the pan. Add a little more more water if you prefer a thinner consistency. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Stir the greens into the hot stew – leave for a minute to wilt. Serve in bowl topped with the grated cheese.