The ultimate treat for pancake day (or any day you choose!). Lots of irresistible melted brie combined with crisp organic streaky bacon and fluffy American style pancakes. How delicious! This recipe has been borrowed and adapted from Liberty Mendez at BBC Good Food; it was too good, we just had to share!
- 10 organic unsmoked streaky bacon rashers from Helen Browning’s
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 25g salted butter, plus extra to serve
- 150g brie, thinly sliced
- 50g grated cheddar
- Heat the grill to high and grill the bacon for 5 mins until crisp, turning halfway through. Set aside and keep warm. Tip the flour, baking powder, sugar and a large pinch of salt into a large bowl, then gradually whisk in the eggs and milk until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Heat a splash of the oil and small knob of the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until sizzling. Spoon in 1 tbsp of the batter and spread out to a rough 10 cm circle with the back of the spoon. Top with a few slices of the brie, a pinch of the grated cheddar, and 1½ tbsp more of the pancake batter – the batter should cover all the cheese. Don’t worry if the batter starts to spread – you can shape it by pushing the cheese back toward the centre using a spatula. Cook for 2-3 mins until bubbles start to form on the surface, then carefully flip and cook for 2 mins more. Keep warm while repeating the process with the rest of the oil, butter, batter and cheese. Serve topped with some salted butter and the crispy bacon.