This bacon wrapped halloumi recipe from Niamh Shields really is a sensation for your taste buds; delicious organic streaky bacon paired with wonderful halloumi and a tangy tamarind sauce.
This recipe has been borrowed from Niamh Shields ‘Bacon The Cookbook’ and it really is marvellous!
For the Tamarind tomato sauce:
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1* 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp tamarind extract (if unable to source, try equal parts brown sugar and lime juice)
- 400 ml water
- sea salt (to taste)
- 450 g halloumi
- 12 rashers of organic streaky bacon from Helen Browning’s
- Make the dipping sauce first. Saute the garlic over a medium heat in 1 tbsp olive oil for a couple of minutes, stirring so it doesn’t burn. Add the tin of tomatoes (break up the tomatoes with a spatula or wooden spoon if they are whole) with the honey and tamarind extract. Fill the tomato tin with water and add this to the pan also. Bring this to the boil and reduce the heat to low. Cook for half an hour, stirring occasionally, so that the sauce reduces slightly. Season to taste with salt.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare your halloumi. Cut each block in half length-ways and then into 3 pieces each, leaving you with 6 pieces per block; so, a total of 12 halloumi pieces. Wrap each piece in bacon.
- When the sauce is almost ready, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan and fry the halloumi for a few minutes on each side until the bacon is crisp and brown.
- Serve the bacon wrapped halloumi immediately with a bowl of the tamarind tomato dipping sauce on the side.