Slow cooker version
If you find yourself particularly busy over the festive season, then a slow cooker recipe of Winter beef and chestnut casserole is very useful as they are quick to prepare and require minimum effort but deliver the most amazing flavours.
- 450g/1lb organic diced beef from Helen Browning’s
- 10ml/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 20ml/2tsp oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g/6oz baby carrots, topped and left whole
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 450ml/ 3/4 pint good, hot beef stock
- 200ml/7 floz good red wine
- 15ml/1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200g/7 oz cooked and peeled whole chestnuts
- Place the flour, seasoning and nutmeg into a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat with the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a large slow cooker.
- In the same frying pan cook the shallots, garlic and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Spoon over the beef with the tomatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and turn a large slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to your manufacturers handbook.
- Serve with mustard mash.