Organic Unsmoked Gammon (Frozen)
100% organic, free-range, outdoor British pork from the heart of the Wiltshire countryside. Dispatched frozen.1.5kg
A juicy, alternative way to enjoy your gammon joint; cooked in Coca-Cola on a low heat, with a glaze of mustard and demerara sugar. Use Cherry Coke if you can find it - it gives a delicious smokey BBQ hit.
- 1.5kg organic Christmas gammon from Helen Browning's
- 750ml Coke or Cherry Coke (not diet)
- 1 red onion (peeled and thickly sliced)
- 2 bay leaves
- cloves (for studding)
For the glaze....
- 3tbsp English mustard powder
- 3tbsp demerara sugar
- Place the gammon joint in a lidded casserole along with all the ingredients for the ham, apart from the cloves. Cover with water and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover with a lid, and cook for 1 hour 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200ºC, fan 180ºC. Remove the skin from the ham using a sharp knife, leaving a good layer of fat attached.
- Place in a lined roasting tin and score the fatty surface in a diamond pattern, taking care not to cut right through to the meat. Mix the mustard powder and demerara sugar with 2tbsp of the ham-braising liquid to form a paste. Spread this over the surface of the ham and stud with cloves. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden and glazed. Serve with mashed potato spiked with a little wholegrain mustard, roasted root veg and steamed green vegetables.
- Meanwhile, strain the braising liquid and set aside for later – Nigella's tip is to use this to cook red cabbage, and it certainly works a treat!
See product label
Organic Pork Leg, Sea Salt, Salt, Organic Sugar, Preservatives (Sodium Nitrite, Potassium Nitrate *permitted non-organic ingredients). Free from genetically modified ingredients, gluten, nuts and nut derivatives.
Nutrition per 100g Energy 146kcal Fat 3.8g Saturates 1.4g Carbohydrates 1.6g Sugars 1.6g Protein 26.4g Salt 2.40g