Add a taste of South America to your spring time picnic with this beef and chorizo empanadas recipe that we have borrowed and adapted from BBC Good Food. This recipe combines our organic Good Beef mince with our spicy cooking chorizo for a fiery addition to your picnic table.
For the pastry:
- 375g plain flour
- 220g chilled butter (chopped)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
For the filling:
- 100g organic cooking chorizo from Helen Browning’s
- 300g organic beef mince from Helen Browning’s
- 1 onion (chopped)
- ½ small pack coriander (finely chopped)
- ½ small pack parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Tip the flour into a bowl with 1 tsp salt and add the butter. Rub the butter and flour with your fingertips until crumbly. Add the eggs and 100 ml cold water, bring together to a dough then turn out onto a floured surface and begin to knead until soft and smooth. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge to rest for 20 mins.
- Remove the chorizo from its casing and add to a mixing bowl with the mince, onion, coriander, parsley, paprika, cumin and chilli flakes. Mix everything together, then cook in a frying pan over a medium heat for 2 mins. Add the tomato purée and cook for a further 7-10 mins until everything is cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Heat the oven to 180 C/160 C fan/gas 4. Divide the dough into four portions and roll out each one into a thin sheet. Use a 10 cm biscuit cutter to cut out discs. Place 1 tsp of filling in the centre of each disc, wet the edges, pinch both sides up and fold in half to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Arrange on a lined baking tray, brush with beaten egg and bake for 20 mins. When the empanadas are ready, remove from the oven and cool for 5 mins before serving.
These beef and chorizo empanadas can be baked or fried depending on your preference.