Pancakes aren’t just for Shrove Tuesday; they are a special treat that we believe should be enjoyed all year round. They make a tasty Christmas day brunch to prepare you for the big day. This versatile dish can also be made as a quick lunch or supper, if you wish to serve it with chips and salad.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions (finely sliced)
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- 125g organic honey roast ham ends from Helen Browning’s
- 150g Cheddar (coarsely grated)
- 10g flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally until completely soft and golden.
- Tip the flour into a large jug. Make a well in the middle and gradually whisk in the egg and milk until you have a smooth batter.
- When the onions are almost cooked, heat a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and wipe with oiled kitchen paper. Pour approximately 3 tbsp batter into the pan, tilting it to coat the pan evenly. Cook for 1 min, flip and cook for a further 30 secs until golden. Sprinkle the softened onion, ham, Cheddar, and parsley (saving a little parsley to garnish) over one side of the crepe and fold over the pancake. Cook for 1 min to melt the cheese. Repeat until you’ve used all the ingredients and have 4 crepes in total. Sprinkle with the extra parsley.