Incredibly succulent pieces of organic diced beef, root veg, hearty dumplings, and amazing flavours. You can’t go wrong with this beef casserole!
For the casserole…….
- 675g organic diced beef from Helen Browning’s
- 2 larger carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 10 small shallots, or button onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 tablespoons brandy or cognac, optional
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 900ml good, hot beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
For the herb dumplings……
- 225g self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 50g cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme or flat-leaf parsley
- 8-10 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, season the beef and cook for 4-5 minutes in batches until brown and transfer to a 1.7L ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same pan add the shallots or onions, garlic, carrots and parsnips and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour, cook for 1-2 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the stock, brandy or cognac, if used, horseradish sauce and herbs. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Cover and cook in the oven for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare the dumplings; put the flour and salt into a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix together to form a smooth dough and shape into 8 medium-sized balls.
- 20-25 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the casserole from the oven, adjust the seasoning, add the dumplings and return to the oven uncovered.
- Serve with creamy mash and braised Savoy cabbage