Beef, ale and turnip stew incorporates our succulent organic diced beef with root veg and mushrooms for a filling stew that packs in the flavour. Adding Bubble and squeak cakes create the perfect recipe for a cold winters evening.
For the stew……
- 900g organic diced beef from Helen Browning’s
- 60ml/4tbsp sunflower oil
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 225g/8oz baby turnips, peeled and halved
- 15ml/1tbsp English mustard powder
- 225g/8oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 300g/10oz carrots, scraped and roughly chopped
- 600ml/1pint stout or ale
- 1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 10ml/2tsp runny honey
- 1 bay leaf
For the bubble and squeak cakes…….
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 900g/2lb cooked mashed potatoes
- 175g/6oz cooked cabbage, finely shredded
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Heat the half the oil in a large frying pan under moderate heat. In a large plastic bag add the flour, seasoning and mustard. Add the beef and toss in the seasoned flour.
- Cook the beef in batches for 6-8 minutes until brown, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan add the remaining oil and cook the onions and turnip for 3-4 minutes until brown. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes and transfer to the casserole dish with the beef and add the carrots.
- Add the stout or ale, tomatoes, honey and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook in the oven or on the hob for 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time for the stew prepare the bubble and squeak cakes; heat the butter in a pan. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until soft, but not brown. Set aside to cool.
- Place the potatoes and cooked spring greens or cabbage in a large bowl. Add the onion and season. Mix thoroughly and shape into 6 firm rounds.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan and cook the cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and serve with the stew.