Written by Andrew Bradley
Jazz up your Christmas Party Table
‘Tis the season for the simple sausage and bacon to shine. Easy and quick to cook, chipolatas and bacon are not only the essential accompaniments to Christmas dinner, but with a little imagination they can make an impressive table centrepiece and amazing party appetisers.
Christmas is not a time for compromise. Helen Browning’s Organic Speedy Sausages are a chipolata-style sausage that are 96% organic pork and gluten-free. Her bacon is dry cured by hand and left to mature for twelve days to allow the full flavour to emerge. All of Helen’s pork products are sourced from her farm in Wiltshire and like-minded farmers.
The flavoursome bacon is excellent for laying across the turkey to prevent it drying out, and the Speedy Sausages add a spicy kick when added to the turkey or roast potatoes for the last 25 minutes of cooking time.
Organic Pigs in Blankets
Helen Browning’s Organic Speedy Sausages (from frozen or fresh)
Wrap with Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon (smoked or unsmoked? Your choice)
Sprinkle with a little olive oil and pop in the oven at 200ºC, Gas mark 6, for 10-15mins depending on how crispy you like your pigs in blankets
Roast Organic Asparagus & Bacon
Ingredients: Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon, Organic Asparagus, Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Toss the asparagus in a little olive oil
- Wrap generously in Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon
- Season with salt and pepper
- Roast in the oven for 10-15minutes at 200ºC, Gas mark 6, or until the bacon is crispy
Organic Blue Bacon Bites
Ingredients: Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon, Organic Wholemeal Bread, Stilton and Cream Cheese
- Toast the Wholemeal bread and cut into 40mm squares
- Mix 80% stilton with 20% cream cheese, gently – maintain some lovely texture rather than mixing to a cream mixture.
- Crisp up some Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon (grill or in the pan)
- Place a good dollop of blue cheese mixture on to the toast with a slice of streaky bacon on top
Serve warm for optimum delight
Twisted Hot Dogs
Ingredients: Helen Browning’s Organic Hot Dogs & Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon, Organic Peppers
- Place a skewer lengthways through the Hot Dog, then cut a spiral shape the length of the Hot Dog.
- Skin peppers (cut in half and pop under grill until blackened, then seal inside a plastic bag for 10-15 minutes and the skins will remove easily)
- Slice the peppers lengthways into 4mm strips and pop into the cuts of the Hot Dogs
- Cut the Streaky Bacon length ways and wrap into the spiral cuts
- Place the Hot Dogs on a baking tray and oven cook for 10mins at 220ºC (lower for fan ovens), Gas mark 8
Black pudding, Bacon and Apricot lovers
Ingredients: Helen Browning’s Organic Back Bacon, Organic Black Pudding, Wholemeal bread and Dried Apricots
- Flatten the apricots with a rolling pin and cut into heart shape (or any other shape you prefer)
- Toast the bread and cut into heart shapes
- Cut the black pudding also into slightly smaller heart shapes
- Shallow fry the Back Bacon in a little oil and cut into shape
Pile high and serve warm
Christmas Cauliflower & Stilton Florets
Ingredients: Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon, Organic Cauliflower & Stilton (or any strong cheese you prefer)
- Pull the cauliflower apart into 1-2 bite sized florets
- Place a piece of your favourite cheese on top and wrap in Helen Browning’s Organic Streaky Bacon
- Pop in the oven at 220ºC (lower for fan ovens), Gas mark 8, for 10 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.